Feature requests

mark.potter at academy.com mark.potter at academy.com
Wed Feb 20 15:44:37 CET 2008

nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net wrote on 02/20/2008 02:40:59
AM:

> Hi
>
> we are integrating nagios in our company. we have nearly 3 dozens of
> servers and several hundred clients. We are 15 admins split in 3 groups.
> Our internal organisation is split in functions, eg. somebody cares for
> the mail stuff, another one cares for the web servers and so on.
>
> >From what I've seen while configuring contacts, contact groups,
services
> and service groups and timeperiods there are a few limitations that from
> our point of view gave a bit of a headache. We tried to map our
> organisation to somehow fit into Nagios:
>
> - contact groups cannot be grouped. This would be great. Because the
boss
> of such an organisational unit could then see all tests that belong to
his
> OU.
Contact groups cannot be grouped but contacts can be members of multiple
groups. Bosses, in my limited experience either want to see problems when
they happen and when they recover or when they have not been handled. I
have yet to see a boss who really wants to see all notifications. I have
met a couple who thought they wanted all notifications. This has never
lasted more than a week before escalations were implemented. See the
documentation for escalations:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/escalations.html

> - a contact cannot be associated with more than 1 time period. Thus, I
> cannot be advertised from 0900 - 1700 by email (as I am in the office
all
> day) and from 1700 - 0900 by sms unless I configure another contact for
> myself.

This is accomplished by using escalations.

> - service groups cannot be associated with contact groups and vice
versa.
> this would be very nice if serveral services are grouped then the
service
> group could be associated with the contact group.
> - and finally theres a bug in the Nagios 2.6 (Debian Etch Stable)
> documentation regarding contacts: A contact must have an email address.
> The nagios documentation states otherwise.

I, personally, never recommend using the distro package for nagios. 2.6 is
older, the packages are not maintained by Ethan, and the latest version is
2.10. We are a SLES shop and SLES is pretty good about updating their
packages but I much prefer to compile Nagios from source to have that
little bit of control. I would check the online docs concerning your
problem and download 2.10, compile it, and go from there. Your other
problems are all handled by escalations pretty easily.