I don't understand the check_by_ssh plugin

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Fri Dec 5 21:57:31 CET 2008

On Fri, December 5, 2008 13:26, Patrick Morris wrote:

> In addition to the remote-plugin-execution approachi via something like
> NSCA or NRPE, you can probably use SNMP to pull what you're looking for
> using the check_snmp plugin without having to install additional software
> on your monitored hosts.  It involves a bit more research up front to find
> the OIDs you want to watch, but it's pretty flexible and often doesn't
> require and special configuration on the monitored machines.

I have a bad history of failure to accomplish much of anything in at least
three runs at using SNMP to get data from various devices, so I tend to
shy away from the concept.  It seems to be a horrendous learning curve,
and none of the sites I've found so far make any *sense*.

Having said that -- can you recommend a site that talks about SNMP and
gives examples at the level of getting information out of a Linux box, and
perhaps some sort of household router/WAP?  It'd be good for me to learn,
if I had some reason to hope I'd have a better outcome than the last few
times.

It does seem very likely that the simple things I need from Linux may
already be in the MIB, meaning I just need to access stuff there rather
than add anything new.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info