I don't understand the check_by_ssh plugin

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Dec 5 20:26:41 CET 2008

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> I'm running Nagios 2.10 (the Centos 5.2 packaged version).
>
> I want to do some small local checks on each of a bunch of real and
> virtual servers, and I really don't want to have to set up Nagios (even a
> minimal install) on each of them just to check uptime, load average, and
> disk space.  (Mostly I'm testing externally visible services on them.)
>
> The documentation on this plugin doesn't seem to tell me anything about
> what it does with the part of the command output it processes (I see that
> the -S and -E commands let me prune what command output it looks at).
>
> When I run it from the command line simply, I just get the output of the
> remote command (as if the plugin was just passing it through).  I see that
> I could cause it to produce errors based on how long it takes, but nothing
> about how to actually use the output.
>
> Then I see some tantalizing hints about "passive" mode, where it writes a
> file that seems to show it doing some parsing and making decisions based
> on the data (in the example).  But I can't get the example to produce a
> non-empty file from the command line.
>
> So I'm pretty sure I'm missing something about how to use this plugin in
> the first place, or what it's supposed to let me do, or some such.
>
> Or, if the answer to what I'm trying to do is some other approach
> entirely, I'd settle for enlightenment about that!

In addition to the remote-plugin-execution approachi via something like
NSCA or NRPE, you can probably use SNMP to pull what you're looking for
using the check_snmp plugin without having to install additional software
on your monitored hosts.  It involves a bit more research up front to find
the OIDs you want to watch, but it's pretty flexible and often doesn't
require and special configuration on the monitored machines.