I don't understand the check_by_ssh plugin

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Fri Dec 5 22:33:27 CET 2008

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> On Fri, December 5, 2008 13:26, Patrick Morris wrote:
>
> I have a bad history of failure to accomplish much of anything in at least
> three runs at using SNMP to get data from various devices, so I tend to
> shy away from the concept.  It seems to be a horrendous learning curve,
> and none of the sites I've found so far make any *sense*.

Ditto - I once tried the SNMP approach instead of the Nagios plugins and
NRPE, but it took me about 6 hours to get NetSNMP installed, set up and
running on a Debian box.  I also failed to get SNMP v3 going, I could
only get it to work with v1 or 2.

I found the plugins and NRPE approach so much easier to configure and
manage - it's much more flexible, way easier to set up and manage.

I've always found SNMP to be best suited to devices you cannot manage or
customise, like routers and network printers, but that's just my experience.

Andy