Whoops error on mandrake 10.1

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Aug 19 03:24:37 CEST 2005

Gerald GENIAUT writes:

>  My configuration is : Mandrake 10.1 - Nagios 2.0 - Apache 2
[...]
> Where is my mistake ?

The one time we played with Mandrake (I think it was 8 but it could have
been 9) we concluded that while it had some minor advantages as a desktop
OS it wasn't very suitable as a server OS.  Anything we wanted to do hit
the "2001" barrier of "I'm sorry, I can't let you do that, Dave."  No doubt
if we'd persevered we could have made Mandrake see sense and let us do
what we wanted to do.  We didn't have the time or the patience.  As I
recall, it was the pain of getting virtual domains working under Apache
that caused us to decide that Mandrake was being overly-protective and it
would be quicker to install Red Hat on the box rather than battling
Mandrake's insistence that it knew better than us what we wanted to do.

I would say the same thing about SELinux.  The day there is documentation
about getting virtual domains working on Apache that doesn't say something
along the lines of "this is 'hard work' and you'll have to figure it out
for yourself and you probably won't get what you want anyway" is the day I
might consider enabling the SELinux features.  Given the number of posts I
see here and on other lists saying "your problem is SELinux and the
simplest fix is to disable it completely" I suspect that day is far in the
future.

None of that helps you much.  But you didn't give us much to work on
except saying you were using Mandrake.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support