Service Went Down, No notification sent...

John McGowan mcgowan at lynch2.com
Thu Aug 11 17:36:42 CEST 2005

I'm not sure exactly where to start on this.... last night i checked on
my services and noticed a service that was down and had been down for
about 20 minutes.  No notification was ever sent out... this is what I
saw in the log...

[08-10-2005 22:07:36] SERVICE ALERT: tessweb;Tessitura
SeatServer;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds

When I ran a test this morning this is what I saw in the event log.

[08-11-2005 10:17:39] SERVICE ALERT: tessweb;Tessitura
SeatServer;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;No route to host
[08-11-2005 10:18:08] SERVICE ALERT: tessweb;Tessitura
SeatServer;CRITICAL;SOFT;2;No route to host
[08-11-2005 10:18:38] SERVICE ALERT: tessweb;Tessitura
SeatServer;CRITICAL;SOFT;3;No route to host
[08-11-2005 10:19:08] SERVICE ALERT: tessweb;Tessitura
SeatServer;CRITICAL;SOFT;4;No route to host
[08-11-2005 10:19:38] SERVICE ALERT: tessweb;Tessitura
SeatServer;CRITICAL;HARD;5;No route to host

The first thing that stood out when I saw it was the fact that the max
check attempts didn't seem to make a difference last night... the
service went critical hard on the first failure...

FYI: the particular thing that caused this failure last night was that
the VPN between here and there was down.

the service definition is listed below... with it's template

define service{
    name                generic-service    ; The 'name' of this service
template, referenced in other service definitions
    active_checks_enabled        1    ; Active service checks are enabled
    passive_checks_enabled        1    ; Passive service checks are
enabled/accepted
    parallelize_check        1    ; Active service checks should be
parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance problems)
    obsess_over_service        1    ; We should obsess over this service
(if necessary)
    check_freshness            0    ; Default is to NOT check service
'freshness'
    notifications_enabled        1    ; Service notifications are enabled
    event_handler_enabled        1    ; Service event handler is enabled
    flap_detection_enabled        1    ; Flap detection is enabled
    process_perf_data        1    ; Process performance data
    retain_status_information    1    ; Retain status information across
program restarts
    retain_nonstatus_information    1    ; Retain non-status information
across program restarts
        is_volatile            0

        check_period            24x7
        notification_period             24x7
    notification_interval        120
    notification_options        w,u,c,r
    contact_groups            admins
        max_check_attempts        5
    normal_check_interval        60
    retry_check_interval        30

    register            0    ; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A
REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
    }

# Service definition
define service{
    use                generic-service        ; Name of service template
to use
        contact_groups            csoadmins
        host_name            tessweb
    service_description        Tessitura SeatServer
    check_command
check_http_site2_ssl!tessweb.cso.org!true!/Tessitura.asmx/WebSeatServerListening
}