Service Went Down, No notification sent...

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 11 17:58:14 CEST 2005

John McGowan wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly where to start on this.... last night i checked on
> my services and noticed a service that was down and had been down for
> about 20 minutes.  No notification was ever sent out... this is what I
> saw in the log...
>
> [08-10-2005 22:07:36] SERVICE ALERT: tessweb;Tessitura
> SeatServer;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CRITICAL - Socket timeout after 10 seconds
>
> When I ran a test this morning this is what I saw in the event log.
>
  > The first thing that stood out when I saw it was the fact that the max
> check attempts didn't seem to make a difference last night... the
> service went critical hard on the first failure...

This is because the host was down as well. Service checks aren't
reported if the host is down, and they're set to HARD immediately to
save the added strain of having to re-check them frequently.

> FYI: the particular thing that caused this failure last night was that
> the VPN between here and there was down.

So the hostcheck couldn't possibly have succeeded then, and the host was
most likely in UNREACHABLE state (if you monitor the VPN tunnel in both
ends and have parents set up properly).

What notifications *did* you get? An unreachable for the VPN tunnel?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer