nagios and sendmail log entries (did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Aug 10 23:56:52 CEST 2005

./check_smtp -H my.mail.server -f marc at ena.com -w 10 -c 15

Worked just fine for me. Use --help to tailor it to your specific needs.

> I just checked one of my old check_smtp binaries:
>
> /usr/local/bin$ ./check_smtp --version
> check_smtp (nagios-plugins 1.3.1) 1.9.2.2
>
> This binary does NOT produce those sendmail logfile entries.
Strange!!!

If it works, use it then. There's no reason you can't unless you were
experiencing some specific bug or issue.

> > or you might want to look at the
> > check_email_loop.pl plugin in the contrib directory.
>
> seems not to be part of the debian package.

I would hope that's not a limitation for you. Download the plugins
package from sourceforge and get it from there. I'd hate to have to
abide or be limited by what some random package maintainer thought was
good for me. Maybe there's a separate plugins contrib package that you
haven't installed? -extra maybe? *shrug*

--
Marc