nagios and sendmail log entries (did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Aug 11 10:03:42 CEST 2005

Marc Powell wrote:

> [...]

It's not, strictly speaking, but a complete transaction can be made up
of HELO and QUIT, while sendmail thinks of it as an exception or breach
of protocol. It's the think of it that's not RFC compliant.

> Which RFC is this disallowed in or are you generally saying that
> Sendmail isn't RFC compliant?

Considering sendmails history of remote root exploits, local privilege
escalation problems and other security issues, I've never used it myself
so I can't really say.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer