Has anyone looked into the product by www.hype ric.com before?

Voon, Ton Ton.Voon at egg.com
Tue May 25 11:03:15 CEST 2004

Ben,

This is a misconception - you can sell GPL code:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

The main requirement for publishers of GPL code is that you have to make the
source code available. So Plumtree could do this:

- Take Nagios as their backend monitoring service
- Make whatever modifications to the core Nagios code depending on what
their customers want
- Charge for the software (and any associated support costs)

The GPL insists that changes to that core code must be available to their
customers (but any custom software that does not include GPL code can be
kept private - cf the open source Darwin of MacOSX and their propritary
Quartz rendering engine).

These changes do not have to be submitted back to the Nagios community.
However, in my view, to be a "good citizen", those modifications should come
back to us for inclusion into future versions. In return, we would be happy
to publicise their involvement.

I think this is a win-win-win situation: we get increased quality in code,
Plumtree get to supply monitoring services for a lower startup cost and
customers get great software that helps their business.

Ton