Has anyone looked into the product by www.hyperic.com before?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue May 25 10:19:52 CEST 2004

Jason Truong wrote:

>  I personally love Nagios and would not
> want my company to re-package Nagios and try to sell it as a add-on
> package/service without giving back to Nagios.

So package it, sell it, and give back to Nagios and the OSS-community
what you can. It's not hard, really. Nor is it immoral or frowned upon
by the Nagios community (at least not by Ethan).

We do it, and we try to contribute every way we can. Some of the things
we write are quite dependant on the type of system configuration we use.
Those rarely get uploaded since it's silly to force people to modify it
a lot to implement it.

Others can be used on a wider variety of systems. I have sent a bunch of
plugins to the nagiosplug-devel list, and since a couple of days I
maintain NRPE (suits me rather well, since I've been porting it and
hacking on it since I started this job). If check_icmp (check_fping but
with fping code bundled, sort of) gets included in nagiosplug cvs I'll
maintain that as well. I'd have to do it anyways, since my company pays
me to, and by making it public I increase the chance of getting someone
else to test and bugfix it for me.

> (sorry I don't understand the licensing all too well)

It's really quite simple. GPL states that you can do whatever you want
with the code released under it, so long as you make the source-code
available along with the binaries. In other words, you have to make sure
every last one of your customer has access to the source-code of every
GPL licensed thing you ship.

The simple and proper way to do this is to supply either a public mirror
of every project you include (thereby also contributing to the OSS
community), or simply set up a closed ftp for your customers, if
bandwidth is limited.

If you write your own stuff (like a GOOD webconfig interface for
Nagios), you don't have to supply the sources or make it publicly
available, but it will ofcourse be very much appreciated.
If you modify GPL'ed code, you have to make the changes available to all
those you supply binaries to.

It's not required that you upload your changes to GPL code to the
public, but it is sort of frowned upon not to do so. Also, if your
improvements are good enough to make it into main project (hacking
latest CVS source is a good way to increase possibilities for this),
it's stupid not to submit them.

The reason for this is that you'd have to back-port every new release to
include your enhancements, while the maintainer of the software will
incorporate them for you (and code his/hers way around it) while
enhancing and bugfixing it if it makes it in.

> Thank you,

You're welcome.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson