check_procs not functioning well

anil kamath amk_dude at yahoo.com
Wed May 19 11:01:39 CEST 2004

Hi swati,

seen your contents, as i had mentioned earlier that
even if the check procs points at a remote host it
hasnt got the rights to check procs unless you do
check_by_ssh or run a nrpe daemon on remote host and
make check_nrpe check the proc status.
the proc status is okay b'coz it checks the local
procs  and not the procs running on the remote host. A
simple example is try creating the proc check for
another host  and u will get the same result. I have
configured check_procs to monitor procs on a remote
host and it works fine.
U need to install the nrpe daemon on the remote host
and also the plugins. you need to configure nrpe.cfg
and also start the daemon as an xinetd service.

check_command
check_nrpe!check_total_procs!150!200
}
this is from services.cfg.
define command{
        command_name    check_local_procs
        command_line    $USER1$/check_procs -w $ARG1$
-c $ARG2$ -s $ARG3$
        }
this is for checking local procs even if it points to
a emote host.
define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$
}
this entry is for checking procs and other services on
a remote host.

reply back if it works fine

Regards,
anil