NRPE - Could not read request from client, bailing out...

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu May 13 08:46:15 CEST 2004

Flak Magnet wrote:
> I am having a fit trying to get check_nrpe to work and so I reluctantly ask
> you folks for assistance.
>
> Environ:
> Nagios 1.2 on a Linux box with nrpe_check v 2.0
>
> NRPE v 1.9 on Solaris 8 box.
>
> I compiled both ends of nrpe without SSL support and I'm running nrpe on the
> Solaris box from inetd.
>
> When I run check_nrpe receive the following message in /var/tmp/messages:
>
> May 12 09:16:27 <hostname> nrpe[6750]: [ID 421412 daemon.error] Could not read
> request from client, bailing out...
>
> I've searched the FAQ and RTFM'd without coming up with anything... could it
> be the different versions of NRPE that are shnackering up the works?

Documentation isn't all too obvious on this, but the two versions are
incompatible, due to some hasty mistake in the making of the packet
structure of version 1.x. I'm working on creating a backward compatible
check_nrpe, but I'm not done yet, so you'll just have to wait a while
longer, or update nrpe on the solaris box to nrpe 2.0

--
Mvh
Andreas Ericsson
andreas.ericsson at op5.se