NRPE - Could not read request from client, bailing out...

Flak Magnet flakmagnet at tabletop-battlezone.com
Thu May 13 15:09:33 CEST 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 02:46 am, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Flak Magnet wrote:
> > I am having a fit trying to get check_nrpe to work and so I reluctantly
> > ask you folks for assistance.
> >
> > Environ:
> > Nagios 1.2 on a Linux box with nrpe_check v 2.0
> >
> > NRPE v 1.9 on Solaris 8 box.
> >
> > I compiled both ends of nrpe without SSL support and I'm running nrpe on
> > the Solaris box from inetd.
> >
> > When I run check_nrpe receive the following message in /var/tmp/messages:
> >
> > May 12 09:16:27 <hostname> nrpe[6750]: [ID 421412 daemon.error] Could not
> > read request from client, bailing out...
> >
> > I've searched the FAQ and RTFM'd without coming up with anything... could
> > it be the different versions of NRPE that are shnackering up the works?
>
> Documentation isn't all too obvious on this, but the two versions are
> incompatible, due to some hasty mistake in the making of the packet
> structure of version 1.x. I'm working on creating a backward compatible
> check_nrpe, but I'm not done yet, so you'll just have to wait a while
> longer, or update nrpe on the solaris box to nrpe 2.0

Thank you for the help, but I'm still having the problem.  I started out with
identical versions (2.0) compiled sans SSL support but after that didn't work
I installed the packages for NRPE (v1.9) on the solaris box.  Still no joy.

Going back to the compiled 2.0 version I recieve this:

On Nagios Box -
CHECK_NRPE: Received 0 bytes from daemon.  Check the remote server logs for
error messages.

In /var/adm/messages on solaris box -
Well, that's odd, now I'm not seeing anything there... where should I look?

--

-- Tim "Flak Magnet"
http://geocities.com/flakmagnet72/