nrpe problems

Scott behrens at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 12 20:57:58 CEST 2004

In my log file i get this information:

May 12 05:21:28 (nrpe daemon machine) nrpe[14408]: connect from (my host
nagios machine)
May 12 05:21:38 (nrpe daemon machine) nrpe[14408]: Could not read
request from client, bailing out...(Success)

I am reading through the log file and I keep receving this error. I have
nrpe running in inetd as follows:

nrpe stream tcp nowait nagios /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/nrpe -c
/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd

that is where the nrpe daemon and config files are. the config files
have read permission for nagios and nrpe has rwx for nrpe.
i have nrpe added to my /etc/services as well.
ssl is not enabled on either machine and i am using tcp wrappers.
i can also telnet to the machine from both the nagios host server and
the nrpe daemon machine to itself on the port 5666.
i can see that the daemon is running using netstat -pta
i also tried to just use check_nrpe -H (the daemons hostname) to see if
i would get a response as I read in one of the posts on the forum but it
times out even if i adjust the time to 20 or 40 seconds.

Any ideas?

Scott Behrens