service_group definition

Mueller, Karl KMueller at netsuite.com
Wed May 12 20:36:55 CEST 2004

I don't think hostgroups being used in service definitions will affect
the algorithm on whether you get notified or not.  Same with service
groups in 2.0.

What we do is we have many hostgroups dedicated to just being used to
assign services.  This has no effect on how notifications for the
service go out.  The only time you would not get notifications
(typically) is when a) the host is down, or b) some kind of dependency
or other normal notification issue happens.  (For example, notifications
are off for that host or service)

If you use hostgroups to assign services, it's no different than
assigning them to the hostnames directly.  I.e.

define service {
  hostgroup_name foo
}

is the equivalent of

define service {
  host_name foo1,foo2,foo3,...
}

which itself is the equivalent of

define service {
  host_name foo1
}

define service {
  host_name foo2
}

etc.

They are all the same thing as far as Nagios is concerned because all
the expansion is done in the templates before Nagios "runs".

Service groups in 2.0 only are different in the sense that you can't use
the "hostgroup" features (such as host escalations) and they have a nice
separate link on the left side of the main page in 2.0.  The way they
expand into host names I believe is the same as hostgroups work.

Most people use servicegroups in 2.0 to group together "interesting"
services for administrative reasons more than configuration reasons. (I
think)

Hope this helps,
Karl