service_group definition

Vlad Didenko vdidenko at Getcollc.com
Wed May 12 20:35:06 CEST 2004

Spencer,

Yes, we are doing that. But this is half of the convenience. An ideal configuration architecture does assign groups to groups, with potential exclusions.Beleive me, it is much more convenient. Right now we are assigning groups to individual services. Which is just a convenience issue, and, as I've heard will be resolved in 2.x.

Thank you for the time!
Vlad.

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Horn [mailto:shorn at lssi.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 1:01 PM
To: Vlad Didenko
Cc: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] service_group definition

Group the hosts rather than the services, group the hosts in the host config file as such

define hostgroup{
 hostgroup_name  rtp_production_aix_servers
 alias           RTP Production AIX Servers
 contact_groups  sysadmins,noc,support,support-pagers
 members         inqr0,inqr1,inqr2,inqr3,inqr4,hag0r,hag1r,hag2r,hag3r,wagr0,osar0,osar1,igwr0,gwlom0,gwlom1,bldr,wsbldr,ldds,mis1,inqedar0,inqr5
 }

Define this in all services you want for these hosts as such,

define service{
 service_description            Connectivity
 use                            rtp-service-standard
 hostgroup_name                 rtp_production_aix_servers,rtp_production_linux_servers,rtp_new_box_temp
 contact_groups                 sysadmins,noc,support,support-pagers
 check_command                  check_fping
 }

Spencer

Vlad Didenko wrote:

Hello, collagues!

I was unable to find how to define service groups in the documentation or in FAQ. I need to define a set of services and assign it to a group of hosts. So that is a host gets added to a group it automatically gets appropriate checks and if new service is added to be check in the service group all hosts in that host group would get it. Corresponding removals would be nice to get working as well.

I am running the 1.2 version. Any suggestions?

Sincerely,
Vlad.