Tracker for Nagios

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Jan 29 11:50:10 CET 2005

Stanley Hopcroft wrote:
> Dear Folks,
>
> There is no SF Tracker for Nagios.
>
> The Tracker for Nagiosplug is useful for both developers and users since
> it makes visible outstanding issues and helps distribute the effort.

I vote against it, for the following reasons;
1) Nagiosplug is a distributed effort. Ethan keeps track of the Nagios
core alone.
2) It's easier to submit patches directly to the list instead of going
through the trouble of the SF tracker (that might just be the horrible
response times I get from sourceforge, but still). I have several things
I would like to patch in the plugins, but the sheer trouble of going
through the tracker makes me skip that step.
3) The plugins are much less complex, written in every language
imaginable and sees more active contributions. Very few users contribute
to the nagios core, so the number of patches isn't so overwhelming as to
need tracking.

> A Tracker for Nagios may be less useful (and I am not seeking reasons if
> it has already been decided _not_ to have one) but it occurred to me
> that providing further evidence (log captures from a debug Nag) for what
> seems to me is a problem in 2.0 (Scheduled downtime for all services and
> hosts fails to suppress notifications) is wasted if this is a known
> problem that has already been dealt with, and that a Tracker would make
> recognising such cases easier.

Considering the few contributors nagios has, I'd say logs and such could
be sent to nagios-devel without any impact what so ever. I wouldn't want
to go visit a website to know what problems there are.

Historical bugs could easily be tracked in a BUGS-file in the CVS
instead, and contain the info needed to reproduce the bug in question
(and perhaps a cred-line to the person who fixed it and when and how).

> Then again, perhaps I should be tracking the CVS ci's and the revision
> logs.

That would provide the BUGS-file, but in a less clean format.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer