RFE(x2): Service Info/Notify Method On Level

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon May 12 19:11:57 CEST 2003

Brandon Knitter wrote:
> > Service Info
> This would be an addition config entry for Hosts and Services
> which would allow
> for free form text to be included in a pop-up at the
> Service/Host screens.  This
> would include things such as service/host background, how to
> test it, and how to
> fix it.  It would be great to consolidate this in a single
> place.  If this is
> not available, then at least a Service Info Link would be
> really cool.
> Something that helps the tech find the appropriate
> information about the problem.

We could use this feature as well.  Would be great for adding free-form info, such as serial numbers, primary application(s), trouble ticket numbers, escalation points of contact, just to name a few.

> > Notify Method On Level
> There are a lot of cases (disk space for instance) where we
> would prefer to be
> emailed on WARNING and paged on CRITICAL.  Currently this is
> not possible as you
> have to choose the contact and contactgroup for the service,
> irrespective of the
> state level.

Many have wondered how to do this in the past.  The solution (workaround?) has been to create one contact for e-mail and another contact for pager.  In our particular environment, all the admins have their own e-mail addresses, and we have a virtual pager which is a separate entry in contacts.cfg.  Works well, even if it's not intuitive for the Nagios neophyte.

jc