Availability Report

Rob Pitman rob at pitman.co.za
Mon May 12 13:17:58 CEST 2003

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. In my case, it was because my Nagios server
is synchronized to an NTP server, and the clock on my Nagios server is
gaining a second or two every day. To compensate, NTPD adjusts  the system
clock backwards in time by a second or two every day.

As I explained in my posting to this mailinglist last Wednesday (May 7),
there is a bug in "compensate_for_system_time_change" in the file
nagios.c; it should _not_ adjust the run_time for log rotation events. This
bug is present in nagios-1.0 and in nagios-1-x-cvs.

The problem is that the function "compensate_for_system_time_change" adjusts
the run-time of the log rotation event (along with all other timed events)
so that it runs a second BEFORE midnight (I am using daily log rotation).
Since the log rotation event is a recurring event, another log rotation is
_immediately_ scheduled for one second later. The second log file is empty.
As a result, the "trends", "history" and "notifications" CGIs do not
display any data for any of the archived logfiles.

Is there someone on this mailinglist who incorporates these bug fixes into
Nagios? I haven't seen any response to my posting of May 7. I also
submitted a suggestion about the comment that is associated with scheduled
downtime (also on May 7).

Regards
Rob Pitman