Same contact - two different notification methods

Peter Wood peterwood.sd at gmail.com
Tue May 21 22:49:09 CEST 2013

Hi,

I have two services monitoring http on two servers:
  http on server1 - Email notifications
  http on server2 - Email + SMS notifications

Http on server1 is not critical and notifications should go out via email.
Http on server2 is critical and notifications should go out via email and
SMS.

The only place where I can setup how an user should be contacted is in the
contact definition.

Does that mean I have to create two contact definitions for each user: one
for email notifications and one for sms notifications?

For example:

define contact {
  contact_name user1
  email user1 at company.com
  }

define contact {
  contact_name user1-sms
  email <phone number>@txt.att.net  ; I have AT&T but it can be any other
email-to-sms service
}

define service {
  host_name server1
  contacts user1
}

define service {
  host_name server2
  contacts user1-sms
}

Am I missing something? Is there a way to do it without creating two
contact definitions for the same user?

Thanks,

-- Peter