Repeating event handler in hard service state....

Matthew Jurgens nagiosusers at edcint.co.nz
Tue Oct 9 00:27:20 CEST 2012

On 9/10/2012 1:17 AM, Peter Kaagman wrote:
> Hi there list,
>
> As I understand service specific event handlers are triggered for every state change whenever a server is in a SOFT state, and once when a service enters a HARD state.
>
> Problem is that I have a service (an IPSEC tunnel) which is dependent on an outside source. If the outside party fails (whenever they do updates once a week) I actually kill the tunnel when attempting a restart. To solve this I would like to keep trying the restart.
>
> I could do this in a SOFT state by increasing the max check attempts to a higher number... but than I would never get a notification. Letting the service go to a HARD state (to get the notification) would limit the restart attempt to just the one event when the service enters the HARD state.
>
> I think there are 2 possibilities:
>
> - Keep the service in a SOFT state and send out a notification on attempt X.
> - Let the service go to a HARD state but keep on trying the restart.
>
> Is there anyway I could achieve this? Or am I completely missing something.
>
> Peter

If you set the service to volatile if will run the event handler every
time the service is not OK, even after multiple HARD states.

The event handler at edcint.co.nz/checkwmiplus will also give you fine
grain control over exactly what states the event handler should do
something including specific text strings in the service output. This
may add some flexibility so that you only restart the tunnel if you
really need to.

--
Smartmon System Monitoring <http://www.smartmon.com.au>
www.smartmon.com.au <http://www.smartmon.com.au>