Repeating event handler in hard service state....

Peter Kaagman P.Kaagman at atlascollege.nl
Mon Oct 8 16:17:09 CEST 2012

Hi there list,

As I understand service specific event handlers are triggered for every state change whenever a server is in a SOFT state, and once when a service enters a HARD state.

Problem is that I have a service (an IPSEC tunnel) which is dependent on an outside source. If the outside party fails (whenever they do updates once a week) I actually kill the tunnel when attempting a restart. To solve this I would like to keep trying the restart.

I could do this in a SOFT state by increasing the max check attempts to a higher number... but than I would never get a notification. Letting the service go to a HARD state (to get the notification) would limit the restart attempt to just the one event when the service enters the HARD state.

I think there are 2 possibilities:

- Keep the service in a SOFT state and send out a notification on attempt X.
- Let the service go to a HARD state but keep on trying the restart.

Is there anyway I could achieve this? Or am I completely missing something.

Peter