Performance data not being written to file with 3.3.1

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Mon Mar 5 20:13:45 CET 2012

Hey folks,

   So, I have the following setup after some re-architecting this past
weekend:

* Primary Nagios server running 3.2.3
* Secondary Nagios server running 3.3.1, receiving all check results
  via NSCA

   Everything should be identical between the primary and secondary
servers, other than the secondary system not running active checks
and having notifications disabled.  Each system should process its
own performance data.

   However, I'm wrestling with the new secondary server...  I have
it configured to write host and service perfdata to a file, and then
npcd processes that perfdata from there.  Unfortunately, the host and
service perfdata files are being written with no data in them (0
bytes).

   I'm *getting* the perfdata from the primary host - I can view it
in the secondary hosts' web interface.  It's there.  But for some
reason, the secondary Nagios daemon isn't writing that data into the
file, but it *is* creating the file.

   I don't know of any reason this shouldn't work...  Does anyone
with more knowledge of the nuts-n-bolts know why a passive Nagios
daemon (no active checks, all data received via NSCA) wouldn't
write the perfdata it receives?  It thinks it has data - the host
and service perfdata files are created and removed as the Nagios
daemon creates them, and the process_* commands process them.

   I'll provide whatever details are necessary, I just want to
verify the basic premise of my setup before flooding you with
information.  :)

Thanks much!

Benny

--
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it's very hard to
verify their authenticity."       -- Abraham Lincoln