Dualstack monitoring best practice

Robert V. Bolton robert at robertvbolton.com
Mon Jan 9 18:23:13 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 7:26 AM, Florian Lohoff <f at zz.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i am thinking about the monitoring with dualstack targets/hosts. I'd expect
> all our hosts and services to be dual stacked or at least single stacked
> services
> to be the exception.
>
> So adding a v6 host for all v4 hosts seems so odd. I was thinking about
> adding
> some _v6address variable to all host definitions and defining v6 services
> using
> host HOSTADDRESS but _HOSTV6ADDRESS.
>
> In the end it would even be more natural to check_ping to check both
> address families
> if available and go to CRITICAL if one of them fails. In the end v6 should
> be a equivalent
> member of the family.
>
> Whats the preferred way people have chosen and what where the pitfalls?
>
> Flo
> --
> Florian Lohoff                                                 f at zz.de

Hi Flo,

At work we have started to go dualstack with all of our servers. Currently
our web servers are 100% dualstack so most of our monitoring dualstack
experience is based off of these servers. We have noticed that IPv4
connectivity is more important than IPv6 since a client is more likely to
have an IPv4 address than IPv6, also if a web client accesses a server over
IPv6 and the server doesn't respond on IPv6 it will timeout and fall back
to IPv4. I suggest that you monitor these ping check separately so that
you'll be able to troubleshoot where the problem is on the IPv4 side of the
IPv6 side. If you really want to monitor these together I would look into
clustering these two ping checks and set a warning if one of these fails.
Here is the info about check_cluster<http://nagiosplugins.org/man/check_cluster>

--
*Robert V. Bolton*
Email: robert at robertvbolton.com