Dualstack monitoring best practice

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Jan 10 01:26:59 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 10:23:13AM -0700, Robert V. Bolton wrote:
> Hi Flo,
>
> At work we have started to go dualstack with all of our servers. Currently
> our web servers are 100% dualstack so most of our monitoring dualstack
> experience is based off of these servers. We have noticed that IPv4
> connectivity is more important than IPv6 since a client is more likely to
> have an IPv4 address than IPv6, also if a web client accesses a server over
> IPv6 and the server doesn't respond on IPv6 it will timeout and fall back
> to IPv4. I suggest that you monitor these ping check separately so that
> you'll be able to troubleshoot where the problem is on the IPv4 side of the
> IPv6 side. If you really want to monitor these together I would look into
> clustering these two ping checks and set a warning if one of these fails.
> Here is the info about check_cluster<http://nagiosplugins.org/man/check_cluster>

I have seen tons of buggy clients - not especially web browser but
e.g. jabber clients failing if the host in the srv records has a AAAA
records but does not accept connections on that.

Fallback is not a feature of the IP Stack but the applications and we'll
see more broken applications the next years. So one you enable some
ipv6 on a service its as important that it works as the ipv4 part.

I tried a little today, used _v6address and thus _HOSTV6ADDRESS in the checks
and made PING and PINGv6 services (and dnscache, dnsauth etc services).

v6 check commands use the _HOSTV6ADDRESS automatically.

Another thing which bit me today was routers having ipv6 config on interfaces
but which were not doing ipv6. Monitoring ipv6ifOperStatus now but thats a
different story ...

Flo