Dualstack monitoring best practice

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Jan 9 15:26:36 CET 2012

Hi,

i am thinking about the monitoring with dualstack targets/hosts. I'd expect
all our hosts and services to be dual stacked or at least single stacked services
to be the exception.

So adding a v6 host for all v4 hosts seems so odd. I was thinking about adding
some _v6address variable to all host definitions and defining v6 services using
host HOSTADDRESS but _HOSTV6ADDRESS.

In the end it would even be more natural to check_ping to check both address families
if available and go to CRITICAL if one of them fails. In the end v6 should be a equivalent
member of the family.

Whats the preferred way people have chosen and what where the pitfalls?

Flo