check_mssql_health plugin by consol labs connection issues

Andrew Thompson andrew at fulgent.co.uk
Tue Feb 28 12:24:05 CET 2012

Hi all

Ubuntu 11.04 desktop 32 bit
SQL 2005 server
Check_mssql_health-1.5.8.2

Just testing this plugin on 1 of my SQL servers.

Im using the domain admin to test with so I know it has full Windows auth access.

I have installed the DBD:Sybase package.

If I run from a terminal:

Libexec# ./check_mssql_health --hostname 192.168.1.35 --username domain\\domain admin --password  ABCDE --mode connected-users

Will throw back:

CRITICAL - cannot connect to 192.168.1.35. DBI connect(';host-192.168.1.35;port=1433','domain\domain user',...) failed: (no error string) at ./check_mssql_health line 2175

Nothing is logged in the SQL server event log for security logins

So if I try

Tsql -H 192.168.1.35 -p 1433 -U domain\\domain user -P ABDCE

It returns

Locale is "en_GB.UTF-8"
Locale charset is "UTF-8"
1>

If I then type in

1>SELECT COUNT (*) FROM master..sysprocesses WHERE spid >51
2>go

It replies with

11
(1 row affected)
1>

My SQL server event log also shows a successful security connection for the domain account from my nagios box IP.

So connection fine its fine during testing with tsql

But with the check_mssql_health script it says it cannot connect.

Part of the script around line 2175 reads

if ($self->{handle} = DBI->connect(
     $self->{dsn},
     $self->{username},
     $self->{password},
     {RaiseError => 1, AutoCommit => 0, PrintError => 1 })) {
  $retval = $self;

I have changed the entry in /etc/freetds/freetds.conf to read

[global]
# TDS protocol version
# tds version = 8.0

Can anybody help me further with this?