NDOUtils 1.5 kernel tuning suggestions

Mark Young mark at zarzax.com
Mon Feb 27 02:17:08 CET 2012

Hello list,

I am wondering if anyone has some suggested values for kernel message queue parameters when using the latest NDOUtils 1.5.  These are required after the async patch [http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Patches/NDOUtils/ndoutils-2Dasync/details] by andree was added.  Within seconds I after the upgrade I was getting a full message queue with many hundred "Error: queue send error" errors.

I tweaked my kernel parameters through trial and error to be (extremely?) large values and am no longer seeing any 'queue send' and 'queue recv' errors.  Though I am concerned about consequences with running these large values.  Any sane suggestions?  Or maybe these parameters are within "sane" limits?

I increased my parameters (in /etc/sysctl.conf and applied by `/sbin/sysctl -p`) to allow:
kernel.msgmax = 131072000
kernel.msgmnb = 131072000
kernel.msgmni = 65536000
kernel.sem = 5000 4120000 32 20480

This results in a major increase (as viewed from `ipcs -l`):
------ Semaphore Limits --------
max number of arrays = 128                   => 20480
max semaphores per array = 250               => 5000
max semaphores system wide = 32000           => 4120000
max ops per semop call = 32                  => 32
semaphore max value = 32767                  => 32767

------ Messages: Limits --------
max queues system wide = 1024                => 6553600
max size of message (bytes) = 65536          => 13107200
default max size of queue (bytes) = 65536    => 13107200

My configuration has about 1,500/20,000 Hosts/Services and running about 1,100/6,900/11,300 total checks (every 1/5/15 minutes) through Nagios Core 3.3.1.  The machine is a decent quad core, 10gigs RAM, Fedora 11 server with Nagios and related processes set to run mainly from a RAM disk.  The current performance is great.

Mark Young