monitor hosts behind firewalls

doug goldcup at ix.netcom.com
Mon Feb 6 03:57:50 CET 2012

Hi Everyone,

I currently monitor various hosts behind firewalls, windows servers,
linux, and some workstations. I have them all setup as active hosts that
nagios pings to indicate they are up. Since they are all behind
firewalls all I'm doing for host status is in fact just pinging the
firewall. I'm a little confused about using passive checks and not sure
if this is the right way to go about doing what I want. I monitor the
firewall and know that is up, and for all those hosts behind I'm just
pinging the fw, no need to do that. I use nrpe or nsclient to monitor
the services and really that's all I need. Can someone point me in the
right direction so I can stop the active host status pings for all hosts
behind the firewalls.

Thanks
Doug