Configuration Management for Nagios services/hosts/commands definitions

Jake Xu jake at demonware.net
Thu Feb 2 02:53:40 CET 2012

Dear Nagios Friends,

I'd like to know some best practices for managing all those Nagios
configuration files.

In our environment, we use git for version control, but managing and
deploying config files to different Nagios servers is still a pain.
I wonder if any can share some good practices or good ideas on how to
streamline to process of making changes and
deploying new config files. I've considered using puppet to push changes,
but the number of config files (50+) seems too
much for puppet (because I would probably have to writing config code for
each single file).

Migrating to Multisite might minimize the number of files a little bit, but
a single huge main.mk file is not much easier to maintain.

I know that some of you have large and multiple Nagios environments setup
as well.

It would be nice to see some of you share how you manage the servers
systematically.

Thanks!
Jake