a question about service escalations

Tom Haddon tom at greenleaftech.net
Wed Feb 1 19:19:56 CET 2012

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to use service escalations as a way of having all alerts from
a given hostgroup go to a different contact than all other alerts. So
for example, all hosts are defined to "use" a host definition called
"server" which goes to the "vanguard" contact (and the services that run
on there use a service template that also uses the "vanguard" contact).
Now one particular host is in the "bucket_a" hostgroup, and I've defined
an escalation for that hostgroup like so:

define serviceescalation {
     hostgroup_name       bucket_a
     service_description     *
     first_notification      1
     last_notification       0
     notification_interval   240
     contact_groups          notvanguard
}

Unfortunately it seems like both vanguard and notvanguard are receiving
alerts still for services on this server. Any ideas what I'm missing?

Is it because I'm mixing and matching contacts with contactgroups? I'm
expecting it to override the "vanguard" contact with the "notvanguard"
contactgroup.

Thanks, Tom