check_openmanage: OOPS! Something is wrong...

Lois Garcia lois at rockyou.com
Tue Sep 27 22:55:49 CEST 2011

Thank you, Trond! It looks like a power supply problem. I will take the
issue to Dell:

C:\Users\Administrator>omreport system
Health

SEVERITY : COMPONENT
Critical : Main System Chassis

C:\Users\Administrator>omreport chassis
Health

Main System Chassis

SEVERITY : COMPONENT
Ok       : Fans
Ok       : Intrusion
Ok       : Memory
Critical : Power Supplies
Ok       : Power Management
Ok       : Processors
Ok       : Temperatures
Ok       : Voltages
Ok       : Hardware Log
Ok       : Batteries

For further help, type the command followed by -?

Thank you also for putting such a great plugin into the community. Without
it, monitoring the few Windows machines in our all Linux environment would
have been a chore I don't care to contemplate.

I don't see a donation link on your website at
http://folk.uio.no/trondham/software/check_openmanage.html - ?

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Trond Hasle Amundsen <
t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no> wrote:

> lois garcia <lois at rockyou.com> writes:
>
> > I have check_openmanage running successfully on 13 out of 16 Dell R710s.
> > I am really puzzled at what is going wrong, as it seems different on each
> > machine. I have tried different versions of check_openmanage and
> > reinstalling the same version of Dell OMSA.
> >
> > The first eight servers were built from the same Ghost image, and last
> > month, one of those servers started showing the check_openmanage error:
> >
> > UNKNOWN 09-13-2011 17:04:23 7d 1h 7m 54s 4/4
> > UNKNOWN: Storage Error! No
> > controllers found
> > UNKNOWN: Problem running 'omreport chassis memory':
> > Error: Memory object not found
> > UNKNOWN: Problem running 'omreport chassis fans':
> > Error! No fan probes found on
> > this system.
> > UNKNOWN: Problem running 'omreport chassis temps':
> > Error! No temperature probes
> > found on this system.
> > UNKNOWN: Problem running 'omreport chassis volts':
> > Error! No voltage probes
> > found on this system.
> >
> > I reinstalled the Dell software, fixing the UNKNOWN error, and now have
> > this error:
> >
> > OOPS! Something is wrong with this server, but I don't know what. The
> > global system health status is CRITICAL, but every component check is
> > OK. This may be a bug in the Nagios plugin, please file a bug report.
> >
> > The server is a Dell R710, running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.
>
> Hello Lois,
>
> (I shortened the subject)
>
> When the plugin is used in local mode, as in your case, the plugin
> checks the global health status using this command:
>
>  # omreport system
>  Health
>
>  SEVERITY : COMPONENT
>  Ok       : Main System Chassis
>
>  For further help, type the command followed by -?
>
> If everything is OK you'll get the output above. What do you get when
> running this command on the troubled server?
>
> Does the ESM log contain any clues? Try running 'omreport system esmlog'
> and see. Try running 'omreport chassis' as well.
>
> There are two possible causes for the oops error. Either Openmanage
> isn't behaving properly, or your server has an error that the plugin
> doesn't catch.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
> Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo

> reporting any issue.

lois garcia : 650.339.6663
system administrator, rockyou operations
AIM: loisrocksyou * Skype: lois.garcia1