check_openmanage: OOPS! Something is wrong...

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Tue Sep 27 10:45:39 CEST 2011

lois garcia <lois at rockyou.com> writes:

> I have check_openmanage running successfully on 13 out of 16 Dell R710s.
> I am really puzzled at what is going wrong, as it seems different on each
> machine. I have tried different versions of check_openmanage and
> reinstalling the same version of Dell OMSA.
>
> The first eight servers were built from the same Ghost image, and last
> month, one of those servers started showing the check_openmanage error:
>
> UNKNOWN 09-13-2011 17:04:23 7d 1h 7m 54s 4/4
> UNKNOWN: Storage Error! No
> controllers found
> UNKNOWN: Problem running 'omreport chassis memory':
> Error: Memory object not found
> UNKNOWN: Problem running 'omreport chassis fans':
> Error! No fan probes found on
> this system.
> UNKNOWN: Problem running 'omreport chassis temps':
> Error! No temperature probes
> found on this system.
> UNKNOWN: Problem running 'omreport chassis volts':
> Error! No voltage probes
> found on this system.
>
> I reinstalled the Dell software, fixing the UNKNOWN error, and now have
> this error:
>
> OOPS! Something is wrong with this server, but I don't know what. The
> global system health status is CRITICAL, but every component check is
> OK. This may be a bug in the Nagios plugin, please file a bug report.
>
> The server is a Dell R710, running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Hello Lois,

(I shortened the subject)

When the plugin is used in local mode, as in your case, the plugin
checks the global health status using this command:

  # omreport system
  Health

  SEVERITY : COMPONENT
  Ok       : Main System Chassis

  For further help, type the command followed by -?

If everything is OK you'll get the output above. What do you get when
running this command on the troubled server?

Does the ESM log contain any clues? Try running 'omreport system esmlog'
and see. Try running 'omreport chassis' as well.

There are two possible causes for the oops error. Either Openmanage
isn't behaving properly, or your server has an error that the plugin
doesn't catch.

Regards,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo