Historical Reports

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Sep 20 14:06:39 CEST 2011

On 19 September 2011 11:43, Lingan Vairavamoorthy
<lingan at avantiagroup.co.uk> wrote:
> I’ve looked through the posts and haven’t seen anything on full logging
> information.
>

> What we are looking for is the ability to view all the checks that have
> occurred on a host/service regardless if there was a change of state.
>

> This will enable us to do graphing on performance data and look at trends
> when states would not have changed.
>

> i.e. We are checking a response to a web page and we only warn on large
> delays – but we would like to actually record all the timings it takes to
> visit that web page regardless if the state changed from OK to WARN. So that
> we would have a entry in the historical logs for every check. Is that
> feasible?

Nagios itself doesn't usually write the check result to the log if the
service is in a hard state and the state hasn't changed.  You can
configure it to do that, but for best performance I wouldn't recommend
it.

To store, process and graph performance data, you are probably best
off using PNP4Nagios http://docs.pnp4nagios.org/pnp-0.6/start .  It's
quite easy to extract data from the .rrd databases created by
PNP4Nagios using rrdexport if you need it in xml format or similar.