nagios not sending mail (nagios -> postfix connection problem?)

Jim Nachlin jim.nachlin at gawker.com
Wed Sep 21 18:58:02 CEST 2011

Hi All,

Very common problem, I know, but I can't figure it out.

Nagios is not sending email alerts for outages.  It had worked before,
and then stopped.  I suspect a permissions or file ownership issue, as
I think I fixed this problem once before by chowning most of
/etc/nagios/ to nagios:nagios.

I see alerts in nagios.log:

[1316623404] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
james;gm72;DISK_VAR;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;CHECK_NRPE: Socket
timeout after 10 seconds.

I see nothing in /var/log/maillog.

Postfix is running, and I can send mail from the command line no problem.

I don't see any errors in /var/log/messages either, or in any log file.

The DISK_VAR service alert is deefined like this:

# check /var disk partition on http-servers
define service{
        hostgroup_name                  http-servers
        service_description             DISK_VAR
        max_check_attempts              6
        normal_check_interval           30
        retry_check_interval            20
        contact_groups                  g-admins
        check_command                   check_nrpe!$HOSTNAME$!check_var
}

Here is the contact group definition:

# 'g-admins' contact group definition
define contactgroup{
	contactgroup_name	g-admins
	alias			g-admins
	members			james
}

And here is my contact definition:

# 'james' contact definition
define contact{
        contact_name                    james
        alias                           james
        service_notification_period     24x7
        host_notification_period        24x7
        service_notification_options    c,r
        host_notification_options       d,r
        service_notification_commands   notify-by-email
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
        email                           james at XXXXXX.com
        }

So, as far as I can tell, I should be getting emailed alerts, but I'm not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-J