Notifications for Services that are "Up"

Mike Lindsey mike-nagios at 5dninja.net
Fri Sep 2 20:32:06 CEST 2011

On 9/2/11 7:59 AM, Michael Loiselle wrote:
> I am currently running Nagios 3.3.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 and everything is
> working great.  I am monitoring 30 Windows servers with NSClient++,
> and that is working as well.  Is it possible to receive a notification
> for a specific service that is in the "up" position?  In other words,
> I would like to get a notification every 4 hours, confirming that a
> service is actually running.  If it stops on Friday evening, I do not
> want to wait until Monday morning to find out it is not running.  I
> would personally rather receive a message every four hours.
> Notifications are currently set up and working flawlessly, so I just
> need to know what I need to change in the config files to get this to
> work.  Any help is appreciated.
Not entirely sure what you're trying to solve here?  Generally it is
good if you can get to a place where you trust your monitoring system.
It should be telling you if something has broken, but if something
continues to run well, the monitoring system should shut up and not
bother you.

If it stops on Friday evening, you should get an email immediately (or
as soon as Nagios notices it...)  If by "it stops" you mean "Nagios
stops" then that's a separate problem - I have a secondary system that
ONLY monitors my primary Nagios infrastructure.  If the primary system
fails, the secondary system emails me - well, pages me, my secondary,
all of ProdOps, etc.

TL;DR:  No easy way to have an OK service automatically email.  Nagios
makes noise when things are broken, not when they're working.

--
Mike Lindsey