Notifications for Services that are "Up"

Terry Carmen terry at cnysupport.com
Fri Sep 2 21:07:47 CEST 2011

Quoting Mike Lindsey <mike-nagios at 5dninja.net>:

> On 9/2/11 7:59 AM, Michael Loiselle wrote:
>> I am currently running Nagios 3.3.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 and everything
>> is working great.  I am monitoring 30 Windows servers with
>> NSClient++, and that is working as well.  Is it possible to receive
>> a notification for a specific service that is in the "up" position?

Just to toss another fly in the ointment, it's dangerous to test a
service by examining what Windows thinks it's doing. Many times a
service says it's "up" but is actually dead.

It would be more reliable to write a plugin that would actually
examine the service to see if it can/is actually working. For example,
with a database, you can do a SELECT on a known quantity and compare
the result to what it should be.

What specific service are you trying to monitor?

Terry