About new release for Nagios

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Mon Oct 17 14:19:50 CEST 2011

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> On 10/17/2011 11:10 AM, Michael Friedrich wrote:
>> Fournier, Wim wrote:

>>> Are you sure? 3.3.1 is marked as the latest stable on
>>> http://nagios.org/download/core/thanks/?registered=1 and 3.2.3 as the
>>> previous stable.
>> oh. i wasn't aware of that change, thanks for the pointer. well if they
>> say so. i've encountered and fixed various bugs on my 3.3.1 github tree,
>> so i don't consider it stable as it should be.
>> anyhow, as stated before, that's nagios devs' decision not mine ;-)
>>
> All non-trivial programs have bugs. How many have you fixed in Icinga
> that were shipped in "stable" releases? The ones reported for Nagios have
> all been fairly "safe" in that they're small or one-time leaks, exist in
> code not normally exercised (recently added features without ui support),
> changes in behaviour that might as well have been misdocumented in the
> first place or only triggered by certain combinations of eventbroker
> modules.

i've added my input on the empty perfdata behaviorial change on the
nagios-devel lists and i do think that this is a bug because it actually
breaks compatibility. even if not intended, if the behaviour stayed thre
for a long time, i don't see the reason to "fix" that this way. but
solely, that's just my opinion even if i break the abi myself from time
to time. just a hint to reduce support questions.

> And yes, 3.3.1 is the latest stable. I'm not aware of any bugs in it,
> apart from the potential one that Dorian sent me a patch for a few weeks
> ago that I still haven't had time to review and test properly, so it's a
> bug in potentia, but not actually verified.

i've looked over them and i am still waiting for further input on what
exactly leaks. i'm with you, free'ing the macros themselves rather than
cleaning up the whole "mess".

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center