Check_tcp - port monitoring best practice

Deborah Martin Deborah.Martin at kognitio.com
Thu Oct 13 17:23:23 CEST 2011

Hi,

I just wondered what would be the best practice for monitoring ports.

At the moment we specify 10,20,25 seconds for ok, warning and critical alerts. Is that too little - we are seeing a few critical alerts generated and wondered if
increasing the thresholds would be better.

What does a "socket timeout" generally mean as some of the ports we're monitoring are on systems which are idle at the moment.
Could these be caused by network glitches between the nagios box and the target ports - the systems we're monitoring aren't local on the nagios network but in different parts of the world.

I wonder if a local nagios instance would be better to try and reduce "socket timeouts" as otherwise people oncall are going to get called out quite a lot.... (?)

Any input / ideas would be really appreciated.

Regards,
Deborah
Complimentary Events and Webinars on In-Memory, Massively Parallel Processing and 'In the Cloud' - for more information click here

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail immediately. Any unauthorised distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. Whilst Kognitio endeavours to prevent the transmission of viruses via e-mail, we cannot guarantee that any e-mail or attachment is free from computer viruses and you are strongly advised to undertake your own anti-virus precautions. Kognitio grants no warranties regarding performance, use or quality of any e-mail or attachment and undertakes no liability for loss or damage, howsoever caused