Dependencies in redundant networks and services

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Tue May 17 22:46:45 CEST 2011

I'm trying to sort out setting up dependencies for services and networks which contain redundancies, and it *looks* like I may be out of luck.  I'm hoping someone can comment... the googling I've done has raised one question about this in the past which received no answer.

The documentation for service dependencies is pretty clear that if service A is dependent on service B and C, then if either service B or C fails, service A will be treated as blocked (depending on the defined failure criteria).  Does anyone have a working solution where service A is able to use either B *OR* C in order to perform its function?  In this case, there'd need to be a way to tell Nagios that service A is blocked only if service B and C are both failed.

The documentation is less clear about how multiple parents are handled, but given that host dependencies are documented to behave in the same way as service dependencies, it stands to reason that parents use the same logic... that if host A has two parents (routers B and C) then either router B or C being down would result in host A being considered unreachable.  Again, I'm looking for a way to define a situation where host A can be reached via either router B or router C, and should only be considered unreachable if both routers are down.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this?
Thanks!