IPv6 support

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Fri Jun 10 16:20:59 CEST 2011

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] IPv6 support
From: Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se>
To: Michael Friedrich <michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at>
Date: 2011-06-10 14:48
>> conclusion - you won't accept such patches,
> I won't accept patches that break things when there are easier ways
> to achieve what the user desires that doesn't break things.

ok, point taken. good to have the counterpart in such a discussion :)

> Yup. That's what major releases are for. I guess I'm just a bit whiny
> because I'd hoped Icinga would stay "compatible with Nagios in all
> possible ways" as was promised from the beginning.

i wasn't there in the very beginning, but from my perspective it's still
backward compatible while reaching out for new things. try compiling
livestatus against the nagios header files it uses, but against icinga.
it will work in productive environments (otherwise community feedback
would have been provided - which we already had, remember those
contactgroup functions you've removed upstream, and i did too). so maybe
you'd just give it a git pull, configure, make all, make fullinstall and
use merlin against it. i'm pretty sure it will work out.

> Ah well. We live and we learn. Now it's time for me to learn how much
> wine I can drink on a friday night without passing out. I'm looking
> forward to that particular experiment. Cheerios :)

uh. wine. have fun then :-)

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center