IPv6 support

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Fri Jun 10 18:28:05 CEST 2011

On 2011/06/10, at 07:02, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> You can, but with custom variables. How many "official" addresses should
> Nagios support? 3? 5? Soon we'll run into someone who wants more than
> that, and then we're left with breaking the ABI again.

You don't have to "break" anything if the Nagios core is designed to deal with hosts that have an arbitrarily large number of interfaces.  Dual-stack environments are about to become the norm, not an edge case, and it would be wise for Nagios to be able to support that, properly detecting when a host is down based on all interfaces being unreachable.  Providing that support could also support those admins with hundreds or thousands of interfaces per host if designed properly.