IPv6 support

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Jun 10 13:02:04 CEST 2011

On 06/09/2011 09:30 PM, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 06:19:40PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>> Why? If the host is reachable via ip6, it's reachable via ip6 and
>> that's what you configure. If it's not, you configure ip4 instead.
>
> So one will need to configure a dual stack host twice, once for IPv4,
> and once for IPv6, and resort to fancy parent-host or check_multi
> setups to not be alarmed twice if it's the _host_ being down, and not
> one of the IP procotols?

Not really. You can still achieve the exact same functionality with
custom variables. What Michael has done is to make one such custom
variable "official", which breaks the ABI. He still has to use special
plugins to check both ip4 and ip6 addresses at the same time, which is
why I think it's quite stupid.

> In fact, not being able to handle the "more-than-one-IP-per-host" in a
> non-complex way is one of the greatest beefs I have with Nagios (see
> web server, or a host which serves multiple services on different IP
> addresses).

You can, but with custom variables. How many "official" addresses should
Nagios support? 3? 5? Soon we'll run into someone who wants more than
that, and then we're left with breaking the ABI again. And again. And
again. Breaking the ABI causes major headaches for module developers and
users. Custom variables don't break the ABI and causes minor headaches
for people with complex environments, who hopefully get paid quite a
lot to handle such complexities in an elegant way. Nagios makes that
possible, while making the normal case (ip4 *or* ip6) possible.

I'm sorry, but I'm not overly moved by your plea.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.