IPv6 support

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Fri Jun 10 13:26:30 CEST 2011

Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Not really. You can still achieve the exact same functionality with
> custom variables. What Michael has done is to make one such custom
> variable "official", which breaks the ABI. He still has to use special
> plugins to check both ip4 and ip6 addresses at the same time, which is
> why I think it's quite stupid.

the dual check affinity only takes place in the host checking currently
(where it does make sense to combine it with check_multi or any other
conditional check wrapper). for other purposes you can still define your
own checks and services, especially tagged as "PING4" and "PING6" e.g. -
but no need to play around with "get the 4 or 6 address from somewhere
for the commandline, but just take the §HOSTADRESS(6)$ macros and be
happy as it was demanded.

don't get me wrong, i know that abi changes and such make developer's
going mad. but from a users perspective this was one of the things
demanded the most. at least within the range of those sysadmins already
running ipv4 and ipv6 in their productive environments. even more, those
virtual appliances and clustered setups would need an even more in deep
rewrite, but that's another story (service sets might be a good attempt
for that).

> You can, but with custom variables. How many "official" addresses should
> Nagios support? 3? 5? Soon we'll run into someone who wants more than
> that, and then we're left with breaking the ABI again. And again. And
> again. Breaking the ABI causes major headaches for module developers and
> users. Custom variables don't break the ABI and causes minor headaches
> for people with complex environments, who hopefully get paid quite a
> lot to handle such complexities in an elegant way. Nagios makes that
> possible, while making the normal case (ip4 *or* ip6) possible.

using custom variables within the default nagios gui remains impossible
to be shown and used without hacking c code. making it available would
either cost to allow custom variables to be shown (what regex might be
good to show only those? is it really custom then? etc) rather than just
supporting the address6 host attribute - which remains implemented by a
community members, tested by various and demanded by lots of.

--
DI (FH) Michael Friedrich

Vienna University Computer Center

email: 	michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at