Retry issue fail to notify

durwin at mgtsciences.com durwin at mgtsciences.com
Fri Feb 18 20:30:39 CET 2011

Jim Avery <jim at jimavery.me.uk> wrote on 02/18/2011 12:13:30 PM:

> Jim Avery <jim at jimavery.me.uk>
> 02/18/2011 12:13 PM
>
> Please respond to
> Nagios Users List <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>

> cc
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [Nagios-users] Retry issue fail to notify
>
> On 18 February 2011 14:31,  <durwin at mgtsciences.com> wrote:
> > I have the notifications using a script calling festival.  My initial
> > configuration work and festival voice was heard.  But I wanted to
change it
> > so it would retry 3 times before reporting.
> >
> > This worked.  I heard festival for each change it state.
> >         max_check_attempts              1
> >         normal_check_interval           2
> >         retry_interval                  0
> >
> > This did *not* work.  I never heard festival.
> >         max_check_attempts              3
> >         normal_check_interval           2
> >         retry_interval                  15s
> >
> > What is wrong with the way I did it?
>

> I don't know for certain without testing, but does it work if you
> change "15s" to "1".  Also, do you see the service go from a soft
> state to a hard state after the 3rd check?  Take a look at the alert
> history screen for that service to see better what has (or hasn't)
> happened.  Also if you look at the notification history screen does it
> tell you a notification was sent?
Changing 15s to 1 does work.  I see a soft state during the first check.
It goes to hard state and I get festivals notification after 3 check (3
minutes later).

So this brings me to ask the question, is there no way to reduce the
retry_interval units to seconds?  Other configuration settings have that
option.  I see no need to wait long for a retry (at least no longer then a
timeout takes)?

Thank you for your reply,

Durwin

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential
information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from
disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the
sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of
the message as well as any attachments to the original message.