Retry issue fail to notify

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Feb 18 21:53:09 CET 2011

On 18 February 2011 19:30,  <durwin at mgtsciences.com> wrote:
> So this brings me to ask the question, is there no way to reduce the
> retry_interval units to seconds?  Other configuration settings have that
> option.  I see no need to wait long for a retry (at least no longer then a
> timeout takes)?

If you want an extremely fast retry, you can make the plugin do that
for you.  If you've written the plugin yourself that should be easy -
just get it to loop a few times before returning a result.  The
check_ping plugin for example tries a few times (-p option) before
returning a result.  If you haven't written the plugin yourself you
can either edit the source or write a little wrapper script instead.

If you just want to allow a 15s interval, you can set interval_length
to 15s.  See:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagioscore/3/en/configmain.html#interval_length
I've never tried this myself, and like the author of the documentation
I can't recommend it, not least because you would have to trawl
through all your nagios configs and adjust the various intervals
accordingly.

Personally I feel that Nagios should only have to work at a pace in
which we mortals can respond.  With the best will in the world, I'm
never likely to respond to an alert in less than a minute, so it
really shouldn't matter if Nagios takes a minute or two to work out
there's a problem and tell me about it.

If you really must catch very short duration events, you will probably
be best off writing a script which loops every few seconds and sends
check results as a passive service check
to Nagios whenever the state changes.

Cheers,

Jim