Retry issue fail to notify

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Fri Feb 18 20:13:30 CET 2011

On 18 February 2011 14:31,  <durwin at mgtsciences.com> wrote:
> I have the notifications using a script calling festival.  My initial
> configuration work and festival voice was heard.  But I wanted to change it
> so it would retry 3 times before reporting.
>
> This worked.  I heard festival for each change it state.
>         max_check_attempts              1
>         normal_check_interval           2
>         retry_interval                  0
>
> This did *not* work.  I never heard festival.
>         max_check_attempts              3
>         normal_check_interval           2
>         retry_interval                  15s
>
> What is wrong with the way I did it?

I don't know for certain without testing, but does it work if you
change "15s" to "1".  Also, do you see the service go from a soft
state to a hard state after the 3rd check?  Take a look at the alert
history screen for that service to see better what has (or hasn't)
happened.  Also if you look at the notification history screen does it
tell you a notification was sent?

There's nothing in the documentation to indicate that "15s" is valid
syntax.  It wouldn't surprise me if Nagios ignores the "s" and retries
every 15 minutes!

See: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nagioscore/3/en/objectdefinitions.html#service

hth,

Jim