Retry issue fail to notify

durwin at mgtsciences.com durwin at mgtsciences.com
Fri Feb 18 15:31:15 CET 2011

I have the notifications using a script calling festival.  My initial
configuration work and festival voice was heard.  But I wanted to change
it so it would retry 3 times before reporting.

This worked.  I heard festival for each change it state.
        max_check_attempts              1
        normal_check_interval           2
        retry_interval                  0

This did *not* work.  I never heard festival.
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           2
        retry_interval                  15s

What is wrong with the way I did it?

define service{
        name                            generic-service         ; The
'name' of this service template
        active_checks_enabled           1                       ; Active
service checks are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1                       ; Passive
service checks are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1                       ; Active
service checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major
performance problems)
        obsess_over_service             1                       ; We
should obsess over this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 0                       ; Default
is to NOT check service 'freshness'
        event_handler_enabled           1                       ; Service
event handler is enabled
        event_handler                   service-notify
        flap_detection_enabled          1                       ; Flap
detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1                       ; Failure
prediction is enabled
        process_perf_data               1                       ; Process
performance data
        retain_status_information       1                       ; Retain
status information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1                       ; Retain
non-status information across program restarts
        is_volatile                     0                       ; The
service is not volatile
        check_period                    24x7                    ; The
service can be checked at any time of the day
        max_check_attempts              3                       ; Re-check
the service up to 1 times in order to determine its final (hard) state
        normal_check_interval           2                       ; Check
the service every 2 minutes under normal conditions
        retry_interval                  15s                     ; Re-check
the service every minute until a hard state can be determined
        contact_groups                  festival                ;
Notifications get sent out to everyone in the 'admins' group
        notifications_enabled           1                       ; Service
notifications are enabled
        notification_options            w,u,c,r                 ; Send
notifications about warning, unknown, critical, and recovery events
        notification_interval           1                       ;
Re-notify about service problems every hour
        notification_period             24x7                    ;
Notifications can be sent out at any time
        register                        0                       ; DONT
REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
}

Durwin F. De La Rue
Management Sciences, Inc.
6022 Constitution Ave. NE
Albuquerque, NM  87110
Phone (505) 255-8611

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential
information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from
disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the
sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of
the message as well as any attachments to the original message.