Create a virtual service - How to?

Mister IT Guru misteritguru at gmx.com
Wed Feb 2 11:37:56 CET 2011

We have several systems which all work independently, as does everyone,
naturally. We also have 'virtual services' which dependent on these
working. What I'd like to do is set off Alert X, if A, B or C, have a
problem, as well as A, B, or C, also sending an alert to thier
respective responsible persons

For example, VPN, Email, RDP, and our custom application need to be on
line, in order for remote consultants to be able to work. The custom
app, and email are managed by one team, and VPN and RDP by two other
separate teams.

This 'service' we can all RC for the sake of argument, and I would like
an alert from the RC service, if any of the four services it relies on
goes down, because the teams involved in managing the the separate
services do it not just for the RC, but for a number of other groups of
users as well.

How can I achieve this 'virtual service' check I'd like to implement.